Friday, March 19, 2010

See?  I told you it wasn't spring yet.  We're expecting (according to NOAA) 6-10" today and a little more tonight.  I'm really happy we're getting a bit more, because the trail to town has been getting icy/grody/crusty/covered in dog poo and big holes from dumbos walking on it.
 
We made bread a few days ago that turned out pretty fantastic.  I used Peter Reinhart's recipe for pain a l'ancienne.  It's a pretty nifty way to get delicious flavor without too much work- you just mix the dough and let it sit in the fridge for a night before taking it out, letting it rise, and then shaping and baking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pain à l'ancienne recipe! It's what I cut my slow-fermentation direct-method eyeteeth on. That's dismally wordy, but oh well. Jim Lahey (of Sullivan St. Bakery in NYC) has a book out--"My Bread" where he details a slow-rise no-frills method for rustic bread. The results are pretty great, maybe check out the basic recipe on the NYtimes website (under "the minimalist" and "no-knead bread"). Happy baking!

-Scotch